Are 2nd hand iphones still good to buy

are 2nd hand iphone still good to buy i plan to buy a iphone SE soon found out you can download ios 13 to SE

6 Likes

Most of my phones were second hand and they were fine. Just make sure to check the battery life :))

6 Likes

My first hand is an SE how dare yee-t

2 Likes

I honestly think so. I copped an X for $350 second hand. The only thing is you have to check to make sure the IMEI of the phone is :ok_hand:t5: and also if the phone is iCloud locked.
If lights are all green then you’ve got yourself a steal :raised_hands:t5:

4 Likes

Hi I thought of a 2nd plan and may go for a new iPod touch 7 with iOS 13 have any of you got one yet they are good for video vlogs

1 Like

And you made a Byte about it LOL

3 Likes

:laughing: Aye, I did, bruv! Thank you for noticing :bowing_woman:t5::raised_hands:t5: You’re a true rockstar

3 Likes

:metal: :beers:

2 Likes

I’ve heard iPods don’t have the best cameras

1 Like

The iPhone SE am planing buying is £80 for a rose gold 32gb

What kind of difference did you notice, making Bytes on the iPhone? Workflow, quality of the recording, etc

Is it worth it to make the switch? (Android pleb here)

1 Like

You’re always going to get the latest & greatest version of most apps on iOS.

The hardware is arguably better on some of the droid phones, but the droid OS is so fragmented that it’s a nightmare for most small devs to develop for. Even the bigger devs tend to slow roll the updates out for droid unless they are paid to make special versions.

This comes from someone who was a long time droid guy who made the switch. I had the latest and greatest Samsung Note phones for at least 3 generations. Hardware was amazing. Software was awful. OS updates took forever and frequently broke stuff. Apps tended to be stripped down versions.

I’ve been on a 7+ since launch, and it’s honestly hanging in there so well, I feel guilty updating.

So instead I bought an iPad Pro. :heart_eyes:

There’s defo a sound difference. IPhone seems to have a lot more crisp audio while my Note 9 seems to do better with darker colors🤷🏾‍♀️.
I still mainly shoot on the Galaxy but it’s nice to have different angles for a scene if I use both, bruv :coffee:.

I now bought the IPhone SE today and the battery charge is doing well and it had iOS 13 installed on it and all the apps working ok on it

Is this also true about stock Android? I know Google has been trying VERY hard to make their Pixel phones the iPhones of Android

Puts on :nerd_face::man_teacher: :tophat: (tldr; at the bottom)

The Pixel is probably your best bet if you want the latest OS.
But there are still some pretty glaring problems.
Pixel 4 review

Here’s how iOS updates roll out.

Apple :calling:
update hits and within 90 days, ~50% of phones are using it.

Droid ->manufacturer->carrier-> :iphone:
Android stopped publishing their old developer dashboard, but the last time I looked the latest OS version (pie I think?) only had like 8% adoption.
So the latest and greatest features are only available to <10% of customers.

But then you have to wait for the manufacturers to add their stuff. (Granted this isn’t an issue for Pixel)

Then the carriers get ahold of the OS. They add their stuff to it, or in some cases remove features they don’t want to support (AT&T actually didn’t support WiFi calling or HD calls for Pixel)

So finally you have the latest OS version that’s hopefully not been too Frankensteined.

Here’s where things get challenging.
Yes you have the latest greatest droid phone.

But when developers are evaluating what to spend resource :moneybag: on, they (should) look at their customer base is.

This is where you get into the dreaded 3 legged stool analysis.

Fast, features or customer base.

You can get a wide customer base and fast, but you cut features.

You can get a lot of features fast, but you have to go with a smaller tighter focus on customer base.

You can have a lot of features, with a wide customer base, but it won’t be fast.

So most devs focus on the widest possible customer base as fast as possible. This is called the MVP or Minimum Viable Product. Which means less features, that hopefully they add more later.

Which means that your high end flagship phone Pixel, Samsung s20, etc. gets stuck with the same stripped down version of the app that the bulk of the android base gets.

Now I’m some cases, Samsung has had a special version made in partnership with a dev.
Autodesk Sketchbook for Note was a great example of this.
It had special features that made great use of the SPen.

The problem was that Samsung paid big :moneybag: for that special custom version. Which means the development and updates grind to a halt once that sweet manufacturer money ends.

So tldr;?

No Pixel doesn’t really help that much for getting the latest and greatest apps.
/rant :flushed:

What if

I don’t give a damn about apps and never have? 97% of apps are useless trash and don’t add any value. Most important aspects of a phone are what comes out of the box

I used a BlackBerry BB10 phone right up until they stopped supporting it and I never felt I missed out in that regard

1 Like

I mean if you don’t care about apps then it’s kind of academic.
The iOS platform is generally more stable and reliable-its like a Toyota.

Droid is like a hot rod. Much more customizable, but it tends to have more issues overall.

1 Like

The reason I bought a iphone SE is on periscope app you can only use audio only broadcast on apple but don’t have audio only on android for some reason

1 Like