App Store age rating

Really odd, but the age listed for byte in the App Store is now 17+? Not sure if it’s because of content that’s been posted or what, but the terms of the app still say 13+, even though the original listing on the App Store actually said 12+. If anyone knows how this stuff changes would love to know more!

8 Likes

I think it’s because of content posted. They changed it on the App Store but probably haven’t had a chance to change the terms yet.

6 Likes

Could be a change apple made

2 Likes

Good point. That seems like the most plausible reason.

1 Like

Don’t ever remember this being here, maybe they just did a review of the content idk lol

5 Likes

Interesting! It’s the same in the Canadian App Store.

I can’t remember what the rating for Vine was in the App Store, but, it definitely had similar content as Byte and it was still full of tweens and teens. TBH, kids will see that rating and want to use it even more LOL. I’ve seen a few bare butts and pot smoking and guns on byte, nothing you don’t see on TV these days or that is going to harm anyone.

I’m kind of glad Byte is more for adults than kids, because TikTok caters to kids which is why they have heavy-handed censorship on that app. Megabyte (on Byte) said one of her videos was taken down on TikTok because a DOLL was holding a tiny, fake knife in it.

10 Likes

Some people 13-16 have age restrictions that don’t allow them to get apps rated 17+

3 Likes

Oh Snap Apple is Drunk if they listed all that in the way.

Tim Cook <— Blame This CEO of Apple.

4 Likes

If memory serves, Vine was also 17+ :slight_smile: so I can understand why this change was made

3 Likes

showed my bare ass and now this happens , my apologies fellas

5 Likes

:rofl:@tuq

2 Likes

Not really his fault, just the content on social media apps makes them rate it that way

Resurrecting this thread, anyone know the current rationale behind Byte being 17+? My cousins noticed it today when jumping on the App Store. It got me curious, so I checked the other social platforms. IG, TikTok, Snapchat: all 12+. Certainly none of those apps are any cleaner or “wholesome” than Byte. Seems pretty limiting to me, why would my cousins who are in high school be unable to download the app?

3 Likes

Seriously? TikTok is 12+? The app owned by chinese supercorps known for denying the Tiannamen Square ever happened and censoring and banning all mention or news of it as well as oppressing and shadowbanning LBGTQ people, racial minorities, and overweight people from its algorithm? Ironic. I would think with all of the 14 year old minors dancing around in skimpy clothing for menial likes from 47 year old men from across the world in the app, it would at least be age restricted.

For Byte, hmm. Not sure. Like people said in the thread before, it’s all thanks to mister Tim Cook, really.

3 Likes

Pretty crazy right? But here’s the proof:

1 Like

not really. its the app store guideline teams. they dictate what they do and how they rate apps. its based on the content. and the app allows cusswords so its gonna get a higher rating

1 Like

Its because on the first few weeks that Byte was out a crap ton of nudity and inappropriate videos were posted. As long as Byte implements much faster response and cleans the app of 18+ NSFW content it should be fine.

2 Likes

I would say they have, it’s definitely been much more moderated then it’s inception week. But that makes sense, hopefully things get adjusted soon enough!

2 Likes