Advice on editing

What’s good to edit vids with. I have iMovie, but I was wondering if anyone has any more suggestions. My last video was a lot more difficult to edit than it should have been, so I’m thinking about trying something new😛

6 Likes

Davinci Resolve: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/products/davinciresolve/

Scroll to the bottom. There’s a free version. Highly recommended product for YouTubers/Editors starting out who don’t wanna fork out for Premiere Pro. Otherwise, InShot for app editing.

10 Likes

Youre a goat for this :raised_hands:

5 Likes

I personally use Adobe Premiere Pro, but it does cost money. Da Vinci resolve is definitely an awesome free thing. I use that for coloring on client projects!

6 Likes

I use PowerDirector Pro. All done from my phone, my guy :ok_hand:t5:

4 Likes

I use adobe premiere pro

4 Likes

If you want a step up from iMovie, I highly suggest Final Cut Pro. Yes, the price is hefty, but there’s actually a crazy good deal you can get that’s completely legal and legit called the Pro Apps Bundle for Education. You’re basically getting $600 worth of software for only $200, which sounds too good to be true, but it’s not. Even though it’s listed on the Apple “education” store, it never asked me for anything verifying my education (I was also a high school student at that time). I don’t know if it’s changed, but I highly recommend you try it if you’re willing to spend the money on it.

4 Likes

Do you use a camera when you record? I’ve been having to use my phone until I go back home, so that also doesn’t help the quality.

2 Likes

I actually record all of my footage on my iPhone XS, forward facing camera. The ability to see what you’re doing is way more important than quality. You can check out the quality here: https://byte.co/lacieyl (this is NOT A PLUG FOR MYSELF LMAO). And to be honest, some of the funniest videos have been the shittiest videos (in my opinion). Case in point: https://byte.co/android/LQB6QBXNelk

However, I have been using the standard stock app, and have definitely been considering upgrading (Moment Camera or Filmic Pro), but that’s because I shoot with DSLRs too. If you don’t really know too much about cameras, I’d probably stay on the stock camera app, as there isn’t too much to get out of a paid camera app if you don’t know how to utilise it.

If you do have the option to use another camera, I would, but I’m too povo right now, and my 60D video sucks. My iPhone XS’ quality is better than my 10 year old DSLR.

4 Likes

I edit on mobile with inShot

5 Likes

I am happy someone said DaVinci Resolve. It’s great! I tell people about it all the time.

Outside of that, the size of the video should be 720x1280. At least that is the size mine are.

2 Likes

I’ve honestly been using my phone camera because it’s what works :sweat_smile:. I have an iPhone SE and I’ve considered upgrading but I don’t have the money to upgrade just yet.

2 Likes

I use Premiere Rush. It has the huge advantage that it is easy to use on mobile phones!

4 Likes

Adobe premiere rush on the iphone is really great if you want to get a video out quick.

2 Likes

I’ve been using my phone’s camera app as well. However, I always try to film my stuff without messing up since I have nothing to edit with (that and editing feature on my camera app is not really that great). Thankly, I found that the pause feature works wonders for cutting to new shots. Though, it can take some time to get used to; if you’re new to this.

P. S. - I use Android BTW

1 Like

Media Studio and InShot on the appstore are really powerful, I use the free versions of both and they are fantastic. I personally really like iMovie but since I got a pc I’ve been using the windows 10 Photos app, and it does the job pretty well. Not as powerful as iMovie but the interface is a little easier on the eyes and more intuitive imo.

1 Like