ADHD and Making Content

I come from buttf***k nowhere below the US (not mexico lol), a country that’s pretty behind in advancements when it comes to mental health. So I’ve been investigating ,via online, if I have ADHD prompted by the fact that the articles I’ve read where awfully relatable to my situation. I’ve finally decided to try Modafinil(non prescribed so please don’t do this either I’m being awfully irresponsible and of course my country is too since they didn’t care at all about the drugs I’m buying lol) and I feel like I can finally concentrate, no longer do I throw myself into a cycle of zoning out and losing time. I feel a lot more focused and I believe I can finally drop my “can’t work on content right now too busy” attitude that was complete bs since I used my free time to watch other peoples content lol. Is it a trend for people with attention issues to make videos and entertain? I’ve noticed a lot of my favorite creators have ADHD (Arin from GameGrumps, Nigahiga, Josh Ovalle, to name a few). It inspires me finding out I’m normal and not entirely crazy, and I think it helps others to know that they aren’t alone. Do you have ADHD or have a favorite creator that has it? Tell us your stories to help raise awareness :+1:
After all, there are a lot of young people in the forum that might find this useful for them or a friend.
Here’s an article I thought was really good:
https://www.verywellmind.com/the-importance-of-adhd-awareness-20474

5 Likes

It makes me happy to see that you’re putting mental illnesses into a positive light! I’m actually writing a research paper about mental illness in the US, and from the research I’ve done so far, treatment in all countries needs to be increased! About 21% of 15 million kids are getting treatment, which isn’t even a quarter of the amount. Whether it be prescribed medicine, or free psychiatric care, this issue needs to be prioritized! Be careful with the drugs you buy, some may be knockoffs that are potentially dangerous :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I feel a bit dumb on asking this but can you please educate me on what ADHD is?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, mental illness like ADHD, Depression and similar others aren’t taken seriously enough in our everyday life. It’s always until it’s too late that we start the mental health discussion. I’ve thought about how different the world is with social media where we can express our thoughts and self-discoveries around the world to share the awareness and help we need. I hope I can read this paper of yours in the near future :+1: and no worries I’m keeping the drug in check, I’m going to find a professional that can help me diagnose this officially :sweat_smile: I’m just legitimately happy I’m not crazy and had to share it. :joy:

4 Likes

Glad to hear that :smiley:

1 Like

No problem, ADHD is the acronym for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-adhd/index.shtml
The link above states that it’s a brain disorder that shows an ongoing pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity that interferes with functioning or development.

To put it in my own words, although it is different by individual, whenever I’m in a lecture or just talking to someone my brain tends to just get lost in thought about stuff that isn’t even related to what we where talking about. Like zoning out unconsciously even when you have to work on something that’s really important. That really killed my productivity in my case, and a lot of hyperactive children around the world can be prone to this disorder. It’s so weird, like not having direct control over your thoughts at the same time you are conscious.

Then again I have to get professional help so take my experience with a grain of salt :joy:

It’s a good read tbh, in case you want to further inform yourself :grin:

2 Likes

Wow! I wish you luck on V2! My cousin has ADHD and I know how hard it can be sometimes. Everyone on the forum is here for you :heart::heart: feel free to message me if you have any problems. Glad youre getting better, it’s always good to be optimistic

2 Likes

Thanks and good luck on V2 for you too :blush: also thanks for the permission to bother you with this issue, no worries tho I’ve learn to handle it in the past. Tbh I want to raise awareness on the topic. Expressing my story feels pretty good, and it being received so well also might help out the others out there with mental issues. :heart: In the end we all have this pretty chill community that can back each other up.

1 Like

I like the fact that you’ve used this forum as an oppurtunity to gain awareness :heart:

1 Like

I think it’s just more of a creative outlet to get the extra energy out…

After reading your story, I completely understand what you’re saying and facing. Growing up, I had ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) and always had trouble paying attention because I was in my own little bubble, looking to escape the real world as a child; but now as an adult, it’s gotten so much better and even made into an amazing listener (helps out since I’ll be a children’s counselor someday after college). My cousin and godbrother both had ADHD; they were constantly moving around and very fidgety as children but now as young adults, they’re pretty chill but a bit bouncy from time to time.

And what you’re doing to make to make others aware of ADHD/ADD is a step forward to engage others into the conversation. For that, I wish you the utmost respect :fist:t5: best of luck to you on V2, my dude.

1 Like

One of my best friend have that, Sorry, Where is the name of your country?

1 Like

Well you know it differs by person, hyperactivity wasn’t really my issue (only as a kid). But from what I can tell during my years since I decided to become a “influencer” (back then it was only YouTuber in 2014) I wanted to make content, but I kept jumping from watching video after video and anime, whilst having a desire to create content but always thinking of the other possibilites I could make with better gear, being fitter, etc. These excuses would distract me and pretty much killed my productivity since I would imagine what I would do with said stuff for hours lol. Also university is a huge time killer :rofl:

I wish the same for you bud, :+1: I really appreciate another fellow child problem stepping out and keeping the conversation going :grin: I’m sure you’ll be a great children’s counselor, and your v2s will entertain does kids super hard :ok_hand:

Honduras lol, wonder how many v2 forum users from there are here? :thinking: Anyways psychology/psychiatry here is looked at something you only go to when you are crazy, so this social stigma really bothers other people to look for help with their mental health. (Ironically it’s psychology is also one of the most populated career choices in the country so :man_shrugging: ) I don’t mind it tho, I went to a psychologist during college (cause it was free) and overall I remember trying to explain to her how I can’t work on anything and I’m never focused , but never tried to bring the ADHD possibility so we only worked on why I wanted to be “famous”. Which I know it’s from the lack o attention as a kid but I digress :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(btw i remade the posts I replied with into one big one since it seems more productive lol)

I have friends who have ADHD and despite the fact that it seems to be very hard to live with, they carry on with their dreams just like everyone else! glad you’re raising awareness for it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hope your friend achieves their dream, and also you ofcourse. :+1::+1::+1:
The thing about ADHD is that It’s taken for granted most of the time when it comes to mental issues. I mean it’s not as serious as depression, but overall it sucks that kids grow up without knowing how to control themselves and focus.

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your experience about ADHD. Having mental problems is not easy, it’s hard to cope with. Good to hear that you are now okay. I’ve also read blogs regarding children and adult with ADHD. It helps to gain more awareness regarding ADHD.

1 Like