60fps videos and Byte

Hiya

60 FPS video compression seems to be kinda wack (and you can kinda see it in 30 FPS too)

60 FPS video: https://byte.co/@lcx/66VLXJLPzKo (you can see a gradual degradation in quality, and when it loops, its suddenly good again. it’s like the compression is a ramp going down rather than consistent)

30 FPS video: https://byte.co/@lacieyl/bpKsDiQBAB (the above observation is there but way less noticeable)

I was hoping to actually publish these videos in 60 FPS, but my 60 FPS versions look horrible :sob:

Also, they loop perfectly in the app, but doesn’t loop on the web app (I’ve left 3 and 6 frames off the start and end respectively to perfectly loop them in the app).

Further, the previews that are generated also have that black screen because of the missing frames.

My main concern is the noticeable quality drop over time. Am I doing something wrong? I’m uploading at like a high bit-rate and resolution, though at the end of the day it doesn’t matter since it’ll get compressed. Should I be uploading at 720p instead so that compression doesn’t have to occur? Or will it anyway?

Thanks!

3 Likes

This is really interesting. I want to know more

I’m trying to figure this out right now too. I don’t want Byte to have to do any of the compression for me so i’m trying to figure out what the highest resolution and most fps I should be exporting at. Even audio resolution would be good to know.
Have you learned anything since posting?

1 Like

Absolutely not I just accepted my fate.

And went to 30fps.

2 Likes

It’s terrible! My phone allows me to shoot in 30fps 4k (h.264 & h.265 file type), 60fps 1080, 30 fps 1080, and 30 fps 720. All of those resolutions give me the results your examples show! I’m upset about this bc it makes my footage look horrid when in reality it looks very very clear. It seems like you’re (and me) are getting missing frames/stuttering frames. I’ve talked to the byte dev team about this and they have said they were unable to replicate my results. What kind of phone are you using/uploading from?

iPhone XS. I tested also on iPhone 6

Woah that is really weird that we’re having the same issue since you have an Iphone and I have an android. I’m going to look into the file type of our phones to see if there are any similarities that can be causing this issue!

I think they’re just using some serverless functions to compress anything that walks through the door.

But its odd that it happens to only certain users. I’ve downloaded sample clips at different resolutions and get the same effect no matter the resolution. It’s like anything uploaded through my phone (even professionally recorded material) is just destroyed by compression/data loss. It’s sick because it stopped me from posting…