16 second bytes

we’re going to test this in an iOS beta shortly. android tomorrow. we might roll it back, but are interested in seeing how it affects content. if we do roll it back, the longer bytes you made during the test period will not be deleted

please keep discussion here

here are links to opt into beta versions of byte:

note: for the purpose of this test, beats are temporarily disabled for bytes longer than 8.5 seconds. this is fixable but was not fixed for this test

note 2: these are going to take a while to load, but this is also fixable but was not fixed for this test

note 3: change is scary. remember that it takes time — days, not hours — to adapt and see how you feel. it is impossible to know if this will work or not without testing it, and there is no way to test it but to test it. we’re in the same boat as you and, again, if the test sucks we’ll roll it back

71 Likes

Hmmm I wonder how this is gonna affect other people content

3 Likes

v v intrigued for the reaction of the community to this

2 Likes

Interesting. Pumped! I’m curious to see what this will do to content.

1 Like

@dom please add it - we have longer quotes content we want add it on here :pray::blush::gift_heart:

6 Likes

this is a good troll thread

20 Likes

lol

18 Likes

16 seconds is double my core attention span.

23 Likes

The plot thickens, y’all. I’ve abandoned some ideas just because of how much time they took. This will be interesting, to say the least!

11 Likes

Samez. At the same time, not sure if I’m creative enough to fill that time. Haha!

1 Like

the progress bar moves really really really slowly

17 Likes

8 + 8 = 16 :thinking: try 16 + 16 = ? :pleading_face:

have fun beta folks!

3 Likes

by the time the loop happens I already forgot the beginning of the byte. a true godfather 3 paradox.

13 Likes

5 years later. So today we are implementing 3 hour bytes…

38 Likes

honestly 16 is probably a good number. not long enough to allow youtube-type skits, and still short enough to make some tough creative decisions about what to keep, but long enough to get some larger ideas across

2 Likes

I think 16 is perfect (and assuming its the furthest yall will be going for now :eyes:)

16 isn’t too long that people lose interest in videos but is also double the current 8 so it gives more time for people and opens up more opportunities

15 Likes

Oh boy

2 Likes

byte doesn’t wanna lose footing with quibi being in the race now. I get it. If we keep doubling the length every month we’ll reach quibi length before christmas.

17 Likes

Man rip to all of those “I only last for 6 seconds”.

With that being said, I welcome this. The reality is, we’re in a new era. There is a “sweet spot” for content length. Personally, I think that sweet spot is around 15 seconds.

But in the end, it still doesn’t matter to me. As long as the videos keep perfect looping, I’ll keep sticking around.

With that being said, there’s going to be a lot of “different types of content” emerging here, like motivational videos, “how to game the Your Mix algorithm”, “check out this new byte feature”, et cetera. With that being said, if the community wants that and upvotes it, then that’s just the way it is :man_shrugging:

It also does open up opportunities like tutorials for cooking, make-up, or like longer length skits (I know Kevin Saxby used to do 15 - 30 second skits before Byte).

11 Likes

oh god please no one post troll bytes where they force me to watch all 16 seconds and there’s no punch line

20 Likes