16 second bytes, day 2

:rotating_light::rotating_light: please be respectful to each other! :rotating_light::rotating_light:

we’re going to test this in an iOS beta shortly. android tomorrow. we might roll it back, but are interested in seeing how it affects content. if we do roll it back, the longer bytes you made during the test period will not be deleted

please keep discussion here

here are links to opt into beta versions of byte:

note: for the purpose of this test, beats are temporarily disabled for bytes longer than 8.5 seconds. this is fixable but was not fixed for this test

note 2: these are going to take a while to load, but this is also fixable but was not fixed for this test

note 3: change is scary. remember that it takes time — days, not hours — to adapt and see how you feel. it is impossible to know if this will work or not without testing it, and there is no way to test it but to test it. we’re in the same boat as you and, again, if the test sucks we’ll roll it back

link to the day 1 thread: 16 second bytes

59 Likes

You’re wonderful, @dom .

13 Likes

Android testing day

5 Likes

Change is scary yes. But it’s the only thing that’s constant in life. Something mum keeps telling me.

Anyway, when the 16 second bytes was announced, I was actually having a bit of writer’s block and so I did not know what to contribute for it, let alone 8. Waking up today and seeing the different types of videos on byte still tells me that variety is what I love the most about the app. I get that it’s still a test though so I’ll be on the lookout for more than just positives.

13 Likes

Oh cool! Now… let’s keep this under 100…

1 Like

Can’t wait to get the update for Android beta tomorrow. Already have my video for it :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I’m going to try to get a 16ish second byte up today (I don’t quite have the idea for it yet) and I’m really interested to see how the community reacts to that vs an 8 second byte.

I’ve often had to cut bits out of my bytes and/or increase the speed slightly to make it fit into 8 seconds, so I’m excited to see how this will affect the depth of my bytes and all that jazz. Let’s rock and roll kids!

22 Likes

can’t wait to create my trash idea :triumph:

8 Likes

I have a bunch of old videos and clips I scrapped that I can now upload thanks to the longer length. Pretty cool.

8 Likes

So many of my bytes could have used these extra seconds, so, I’m looking forward to trying out a few 16-second videos soon.

14 Likes

2 hour bytes!!!

10 Likes

Byte
Yearns
To
Evolve

?

:pleading_face:

12 Likes

I’m sure this will help many people with their creativity however I sometimes believe creativity can develop from limitation. If this becomes a standard option I believe I will be sticking with the 8 second format, forcing myself to concise comedy and experimentation

4 Likes

BYTE:

26 Likes

When will I be able to upload full length movies ?

16 Likes

I will not be satisfied until I can upload the entirety of the bee movie

10 Likes

Someone did do that tho :flushed:

6 Likes

I need Byte to go two full hours so I can upload my lectures

1 Like

That can take as little as 6 minutes! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You know who has taken short-form videos too far? Quibi. Cash grab if I ever saw one! I refuse to even download it.

4 Likes

Since I basically try to fit a 30 second storylines into 8 seconds now…if I use the full 16length then to keep the video at its quick/entertaining flow I’m thinking to try fitting 1 min storielines into the 16 seconds vs just getting that same 30 second storyline shared in 16 seconds…if that makes sense. Keep the pace

4 Likes