16:9 Ratio

The hype for v2 is getting high but there is one thing that is chewing on my brain… by changing the ration from square to 16:9 it may take away from the nostalgia of the classic Vine experience, I definitely won’t let it affect me while using the app but why fix what isn’t broken.
In my opinion, upgrading the size will cause the vine to take up the whole (or most) of the screen meaning you are either missing out on the v2 description or the top portion of the vine, let me know what you think.

6 Likes

Dom made a comment about the aspect ratio here. Feel free to check out that thread :smile:

1 Like

There is already a similar thread created about this: Aspect ratio Here is Dom’s specific response in regards to this:

1 Like

My bad :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the resource, some people were shocked on twitter when Dom posted the “Vine” that had a 16:9 ratio. :smile:

1 Like

I feel like this ratio would take up the phone screen in an awkward way. I see where you are coming from but jook at instagram, its all over the place and feels too random.

1 Like

Great minds think alike

2 Likes

1 Like

Wow I really didn’t think about that… I think I’d be ok with either but
squares would be great

Possibly it could be a setting you could toggle …

I like the 4:3 it makes it iconic

1 Like

I really, really hope the final version only has square (1:1)videos. Something about having fullscreen videos ruins the idea of the convenience of watching a vine on any device, especially when people will inevitably upload landscape videos sideways and force people to turn their phones. IMO, this ratio will ruin the fast-consumption feel that v2 should definitely have. I think it’s one of the things that made vine so successful in the first place.

Oh! Also, this will increase bandwidth !!! Most people aren’t gonna have unlimited data and this could cause a drop off in users (compared to Vine) who can’t afford or won’t bother with data plans that would be required for these HD 16:9 (or similar) videos.

2 Likes

Yeah I wouldn’t like it because I guess it takes away from the aesthetic vine had, and it might make the feed clunkier

2 Likes

Also the square videos worked because of the vertical scrolling, if it’s wide-screen then it wont look fitting

I think V2 should be classic square with a 16.9 option, but not vertical full screen because it makes it harder to scroll through and show who created the video.

As much as i’m going to miss the 4:3 format, i’m open to new ideas. I also agree with you on missing out on certain things, I’m just hoping this won’t turn into a replica of snapchat.